When on camping trips, it is important to invest in a backup power source in the event you have a hard time accessing a source of power. Power inverters for camping are able to run any device that is capable of changing direct current (DC) to alternating current (AC) so they are a great option when travelling.
A reliable power inverter allows you to consume up to about a thousand watts or more, it is portable, user-friendly, and less noisy when compared to a generator. Power inverters can convert 12 volts DC from a battery to 120 volts AC just like the electricity you get at home.
In this guide, we will explain exactly what power inverters are capable of, what its limitations are as well as recommending the very best power inverters for camping trips.
Our Favorite Power Inverter for Camping:
Last update on 2022-10-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
What Size Power Inverter do I need for Camping?
Power inverters are rated by their power input and they come in many sizes from 100w to 10,000w.
In order to determine which size you should get, there is the need to know the total power that is required by all the appliances you will be using. To do this, you need to find out how much power is used by each appliance. The wattage rating of each appliance is usually on their sticker, this is usually in Amps or Watts.
If the wattage rating is given in watts, you can simply add up the numbers so as to get the total power. If the wattage rating is given in Amps, you need to convert this to watts so as to get the total power. To do this, multiply the number of Amps by 120 volts. For instance, a heater with a 5 amps wattage rating will consume 600 watts of power.
It is important to note that there are some appliances that require high start-up energy such as refrigerators so there is the need to put this into consideration when calculating the total power needed.
How Long will my Battery Last?
Once you have worked out the size of power inverter you need, it is important to know how long your battery is going to last so that you will have power when it is needed. There is no point in taking all your appliances and devices to your camping trip only to discover your battery goes flat in no time.
In order to determine how long your battery will last, there is the need to work out how many Amps will be drawn from your battery using the total power you got earlier. To do this, simply divide your total power by 10, this would give you the Amps drawn when running on a 12 volts supply. For instance, if your total power is 400 watts the Amps drawn from the battery will be 40A.
The capacity of a battery is usually given in Amp hours (Ahr) and the most common battery sizes are 85 Ahr and 115 Ahr. In order to calculate how many hours your battery will last from a full charge simply divide the battery size by the Amps taken from the battery. So for an 85 Ahr battery with 40 Amps being drawn the battery will last for 2.1 hours.
Pure Sine Wave vs. Modified Sine Wave Power Inverter for Camping?
When choosing a power inverter, pure sine or modified sine is one of the biggest points of confusion and conflict. Here are some of the main differences between these two terms without going deep into the science behind these technologies.
Pure sine wave power inverters offer the cleanest source of power; this can be likened to the power from your home. Modified sine wave power inverters offer a stepped or square power output; this is less clean and can cause problems for some devices such as laptops, LED lights, audio equipment, microwaves, and other sensitive devices.
For your camping trips, it is advisable to get a pure sine wave inverter.
Reviews of our Favorite Power Inverters for Camping
AIMS Power 3000 Watt 12V DC Power Inverter
With this inverter, it is definitely possible to enjoy a reliable and clean supply of power to run your essential appliances. This is particularly helpful when you are on a camping site with no electrical hookups. This is a reliable inverter from AIMS and it is equipped with a 100 Amps smart battery charger. This inverter has 7 different battery type settings, this makes picking the right one for your needs a breeze. It has the capability to produce an efficient and high quality 3000w pure sine wave power while also having the ability to retain normal output even when the battery hit a low voltage.
The VertaMax 3000w sine wave inverter boasts of a reliable design as it is equipped with a thermal shutdown feature that helps to promote a smooth running and operation of the inverter. With this inverter, you will feel secure knowing that it also has a high/low voltage alarm. This unit is a great solution to power up a number of appliances including coffee makers, laptops, microwave ovens, CD and DVD players. The only drawback of this inverter is that it doesn't have a USB charging port and remote switch although the remote switch can be purchased separately. This unit is a great source of power for the majority of your electronic devices and equipment on your camping trip.
- POWERFUL: 3000 Watts continuous power / 6000 Watts peak power, Pure Sine Wave Inverter converts 12V DC to 120V AC Power 60 Hz , clean pure sine power, soft start technology, compact design, lightweight
- PROTECTIONS: overload, over temp, high voltage, low voltage, short circuit, internally fused, low and high voltage alarm, cooling fan, and isolated ground neutral. 90% efficient
- FEATURES: Works with electronics, appliances, tools, pumps and much more up to 20 amps. Includes USB port, LED indicators, ground terminal and optional remote switch
- TRUST AIMS: Buy with confidence. In the inverter business for over 20 years. All tech support, warranty, and sales supported in Nevada
- APPLICATIONS: Ideal for back-up or off grid power system using a 12V battery(s) in trucks, vans, buses, homes, boats, cabins, solar and vehicle outfitters and other OEM type applications that prefer a UL 458 & CSA listing. 2 Year warranty. Use high quality copper cables in your system
Last update on 2022-10-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Power TechOn 3000w Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter
This is another pure sine wave inverter that is ideal for camping trips. It has the ability to provide 3000w of continuous power and 6000w of surge power. It is very versatile and it can be used for a wide variety of applications and purposes. This inverter promotes a high level of efficiency with sensitive equipment and appliances. It is very safe to use as it comes with 5 protection systems such as overload protection, thermal protection, low voltage protection, and over voltage protection. Also, the LED light makes detection of any problem with this unit very easy.
The compact size and portability of the Power TechOn inverter make it ideal for use during your camping trips. Apart from this, it comes with most of the essential things that are needed to make it work right away such as a remote switch, red and black cables, and 3 AC outlets. However, this unit is not equipped with a USB charging port.
- GoWISE Power PURE SINE Power Inverter 3000W Continuous/6000W Surge, 12V DC to 120V AC w/ Black and Red Cables w/ Ring Terminals, Remote Switch, 5 kinds of Protection Systems and 4 Output Sockets
- Ideal use in cars, vessels, and for power failure emergencies and s maximum efficiency with computers, sensitive equipment, and more
- 5 Protection systems: Thermal protection, Overload protection, Over Voltage protection, Under Voltage protection, Low Voltage protection alarm
- Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) <3%; Soft start low interference tech and temperature control cooling fan. Output Voltage: AC 120V; Frequency: 60Hz
- Before purchasing, check the maximum amperage of the intended battery. It is the responsibility of the consumer to be knowledgeable on the specifications of the battery and its compatibility with GoWISE Power Inverters. If unknown, we recommend reaching out to the battery manufacturer.
Last update on 2022-10-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Ampeak 2000w Power Inverter
This is another inverter that is ideal for camping trips. This unit is capable of delivering up to 2000 watts of continuous power and a surge watt capacity of 4000w. This is enough to power up all your essential appliances on your camping trip. It is equipped with 3 AC outlets and 1 USB port so you can charge up to 4 devices at the same time. One of the most impressive features of this inverter is its smart digital LCD display. This display is very clear to see and it shows all the important details such as DC input voltage, fault codes, and AC output watt.
The Ampeak power inverter is very safe to use as it comes with various protection systems including an audible alarm. There is also an auto shutdown protection feature; this can be of help when there is overheating, short circuit, low voltage, or overvoltage. Additionally, the Ampeak power inverter makes use of an ABS shell that helps to improve the stability of this unit. This is slightly more expensive but the array of features on this unit will surely compensate for it.
- Fully Upgrade Ampeak 2000w Power Inverter: Provides 2000W continuous DC to AC power output, up to 4000W surge capacity, converts 12V DC battery power to standard 110V AC, three AC outlets continuous 2000w, DC cigarette lighter 216W, Dual USB 31W, Reserved 200w, you will get total 2447w
- Soft Start and 17 Safe Protections Car Inverter Power: Ampeak 2000W inverter is the safest. Advanced best technology provides 17 safe protections, fully protects and extends the life of your electronics and appliances
- Stable Working and Silent Fan Technology: Ampeak true rated continuous 2000watts inverter 12v to 110v,3 AC outlets, Two 3.1A USB ports, DC cigarette lighter, Ampeak low interference technology, making it stable working and quiet, meet most of our daily power needs under 2000w Power rate
- What does the 2000watts power inverter do, and what can I use it for? A power inverter changes DC power from a battery into conventional AC power that you can use to operate all kinds of devices, electric lights, kitchen appliances, microwaves, power tools, TVs, radios, and computers. You just connect the inverter to a battery and plug your AC devices into the inverter, and you've got portable power, whenever and wherever you need it
- Digital LCD Display Masters the Power Inverter Working Status: show you Input voltage, Output voltage, Output Watts, Output Current, Temperature of internal electronic components, Battery status, Battery status percentage, Output frequency, and indicate protections in time
Last update on 2022-10-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
POTEK 2000 Watt Power Inverter
This is another 2000 watt power inverter with a surge capability of 4000 watts. It has 3 AC outlets and 1 USB port that are suitable for powering your TV, microwave, refrigerator, floodlights, and any other appliances you may have with you on your camping trip. This inverter also offers protection against over voltage, under voltage, short circuit, overload, and overheating.
The POTEK power inverter is also ideal for use on camping sites as it has many features to keep you safe while also providing enough power to run your essential devices. It has a cooling fan that kicks on once the temperature within the inverter exceeds 104 degrees Fahrenheit. The POTEK 2000w inverter is a great performer as it delivers a flawless performance each time a good supply of power is required for your appliances and electronics.
- [2000WATT POWER INVERTER]Provides 2000 watts continuous power, 4000 watts surge power to charge your multiple electronic device slavery on the go
- [MULTI-PURPOSE CHARGING]Three AC outlets and one USB charging ports perfect for charging your TV,freezer,flood lights, microwaves, refrigerator, and other electronics
- [MULTI-PROTECTION]This power inverter has over voltage, overload, over-current, under-voltage, overheating, short circuit protection
- [INTELLIGENT TEMPERATURE CONTROL]Built-in cooling fan only starts working when temperature is over 104℉ and 8 internal fuses makes it safer when using the Power Inverter, ideal for use on road, at campsites, remote job sites or anywhere AC power is needed
- [WHAT YOU GET]: 1x 2000W Power Inverter, 2xCar Battery Cables，1xGround Wire, 1xUser Manual and our friendly customer service.
Last update on 2022-10-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API